Nature of Soil - Problems with soil - phase relation - sieve analysis - sedimentation analysis –
Atterberg limits - classification for engineering purposes - BIS Classification system - Soil
compaction - factors affecting compaction – field compaction methods and monitoring.
UNIT II SOIL WATER AND WATER FLOW
Soil water – Various forms – Influence of clay minerals – Capillary rise – Suction - Effective stress
concepts in soil – Total, neutral and effective stress distribution in soil - Permeability – Darcy’s
Law- Permeability measurement in the laboratory – quick sand condition - Seepage – Laplace
Equation - Introduction to flow nets –properties and uses - Application to simple problems.
UNIT IIISTRESS DISTRIBUTION, COMPRESSIBILITY AND SETTLEMENT
Stress distribution in soil media – Boussinesque formula – stress due to line load and Circular
and rectangular loaded area - approximate methods - Use of influence charts – Westergaard
equation for point load - Components of settlement - Immediate and consolidation settlement -
Terzaghi's one dimensional consolidation theory – governing differential equation - laboratory
consolidation test – Field consolidation curve – NC and OC clays - problems on final and time
rate of consolidation
UNIT IVSHEAR STRENGTH
Shear strength of cohesive and cohesionless soils - Mohr - Coulomb failure theory – Saturated
soil - Strength parameters - Measurement of shear strength, direct shear, Triaxial compression,
UCC and Vane shear tests –Types of shear tests based on drainage and their applicability -
Drained and undrained behaviour of clay and sand – Stress path for conventional triaxial test.
UNIT VSLOPE STABILITY
Slope failure mechanisms - Modes - Infinite slopes - Finite slopes – Total and effective stress
analysis - Stability analysis for purely cohesive and C-? soils - Method of slices – Modified
Bishop’s method - Friction circle method - stability number – problems – Slope protection
1. Punmia P.C., “Soil Mechanics and Foundations”, Laximi Publications Pvt. Ltd., New
2. Gopal Ranjan and Rao A.S.R., “Basic and applied soil mechanics”, New Age
International Publishers, New Delhi, 2000.
3. Venkatramaiah, C. “Geotechnical Engineering”, New Age International Publishers, New
4. Khan I.H., “A text book of Geotechnical Engineering”, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi,
1. Coduto, D.P., “Geotechnical Engineering Principles and Practices”, Prentice Hall of India
Private Limited, New Delhi, 2002.
2. McCarthy D.F., “Essentials of Soil Mechanics and Foundations Basic Geotechniques”,
Sixth Edition, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 2002.
3. Das, B.M, “Principles of Geotechnical Engineering”, (fifth edition), Thomas Books/ cole,
4. Muni Budhu, “Soil Mechanics and Foundations”, John Willey & Sons, Inc, New York,